Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Shin-Young An ... Limb series

Serious artists are constantly reinventing themselves, as they strive to achieve an illusive vision of "great art". Often, world and national events impose an emotional response on the artist, who is otherwise powerless to influence such events. The canvas can become the artist's vehicle of expression.

I am an artist in transition. In the past, I have attempted to faithfully record my subject, with an emotional response limited only to that subject. In portraiture, for example, the challenge has been to produce a work that reflects my response to the personality of the sitter. I can no longer ignore the effect that outside events are having on me.
I am now attempting to do paintings that convey my emotional response to such events. It is not always easy to move away from that which you are comfortable with to explore a new area. In life, one needs to progress and let go of the past, in order to achieve something greater. I hope I am worthy of this new challenge.

"My most recent work has given me the opportunity to comment on social, political and environmental issues through the interaction of portraits and limbs painted against a backdrop of current news articles that have touched me."

No comments:

Post a Comment